This “25 things” meme is like karaoke, or square dancing: once it reaches a certain point you just have to join in and have a good time.
So here goes.
1. Growing up on Georgian Bay did more to shape me than almost anything else.
2. I consider myself ethnically Canadian.
3. Music moves me in ways I can only describe as divine.
4. Every day I run the gamut from exhilaration to despair, often before 10 am.
5. I am elitist in my sensitivities, but populist in my sympathies.
6. I accept the Buddhist precepts but I am a very poor practitioner.
7. I cannot watch horror, or any movie or show where children or animals are hurt.
8. My main best habits are eating well, walking, and staying in touch with friends.
9. I find gambling and pornography both offensive.
10. I’ve run every vehicle I’ve owned into the ground.
11. Besides English and French, I speak basic Spanish and some Norwegian.
12. Planting 300,000+ trees in my twenties made me rather treeish in thought.
13. I’m extremely sensitive to passive-aggressive behaviour.
14. I’m an unskilled, undisciplined hockey player with a foul mouth.
15. I hate it when people assume I’m left-leaning, politically.
16. I regret not having found a religious community I feel comfortable in.
17. I have nearly managed to free myself of the concept of linear time.
18. I don’t care what is done with my body when I die.
19. I think schadenfreude is a dangerous indulgence.
20. I can forgive anybody but myself.
21. I don’t believe in taking credit for artistic inspiration.
22. I think consciousness is the unexplored frontier.
23. My attitude about love is conflicted and mostly unromantic.
24. I believe I am meant to have a national outlet for my voice and perspective.
25. The only person who’s ever made perfect sense to me is my daughter Jayke.